A strong, vital immune system can mean the difference between a fun-filled winter and miserable one. Keep your head in the game and help your body stay strong with assistance from mother nature’s wonderful gifts.
- Echinacea– the roots and leaves of this purple coneflower have been utilized for centuries by Amercan Indians and Europeans to boost immunity. Echinacea (http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/echinaceagolden-seal-100-caps/sku-835.aspx?upline=60557097) triggers the body’s white blood cells to attack unwanted invaders. According to research, it can significantly increase the body’s white cell count. (T-cells)
- Probiotics (friendly flora)– It is important to understand that your gut is a key part of your immune system and eating plenty of friendly bacteria or probiotics help to strengthen your immunity. A recent study published in Postgraduate Medicine found that women who took a daily probiotic had higher levels of T-cells. T-cells are special white blood cells that support the immune system. It is time to say, “yum” to yogurt or get crazy for some sauerkraut, but keep in mind, you have to check the labels. Some yogurts off very minimal amounts of friendly flora. Consider taking a quality probiotic supplement. (http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/probiotic-eleven-90-caps/sku-1510.aspx?upline=60557097)
- Vitamin C–Many of us flock to the orange juice or eat extra oranges, grapefruits or other citrus fruits during the winter. Citrus and other red fruits and veggies (red peppers, strawberries and even leafy greens) contain Vitamin C, which helps protect and support your immune system. It also strengthens the cardiovascular system, supports eye health and more. (http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/vitamin-c-citrus-bioflav500-mg-90-tabs/sku-1646.aspx?upline=60557097)
- Vitamin D3–This vitamin has been cherished over the years for its support of the bones. Vitamin D3 (http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/vitamin-d3-60-tabs/sku-1155.aspx?upline=60557097), otherwise known as the sunlight vitamin is opening eyes for its immune system benefits. Researchers are studying this nutrient to find out how it helps support immunity. It appears to help regulate the function of lymphocytes (an important type of white blood cells), the production of cytokines (another key white blood cell) and the activity of macrophages (protein messengers vital to immune function).
- Garlic–This flavorful and aromatic member of the onion family stimulates the production of important white blood cells. Garlic (http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/garlic-high-potency-synerpro-60-tabs/sku-292.aspx?upline=60557097) also assists in quenching free radicals in the blood stream. It even supports heart health.
- Elderberry–The western US and Canada are home to Sambucus nigra or Elderberry. (http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/elderberry-d3fense-90-capsules/sku-897.aspx?upline=60557097). Elderberry’s properties have been studied by many scientists, and for good reason. It contains principals that stimulate the body to make cytokines, a type of protein molecule that enhances the immune system’s response to attacks. This dark colored berry contains powerful antioxidants, including anthocyanins.
- Mushrooms–Most people think of mushrooms as a flavor enhancer or use them to bulk up a dish, but some mushrooms offer much more than that. Researchers have found that reishi and cordyceps mushrooms (http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/immune-stimulator-90-caps/sku-1839.aspx?upline-60557097) contain chemicals that offer a host of immune benefits, including boosting the immune system and offering lung support. It MAY help with the prostate, too, GUYS!!!
- Zinc–This essential trace mineral supports the body’s immunity and aids with nerve function. Zinc (htpp://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/zinc-lozenge-60-tablets/sku-8788.aspx?upline=60557097) seems to work the best when taken at the first sign of concern.
- Olive Leaf–Hold the pimientos!?! We’re talking about Olive Leaf here, not cocktail garnishes or pizza toppings. (http:/www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/olive-leaf-extract-conc-60-caps/sku-204.aspx?upline=60557097). The leaves of this Mediterranean staple offer a powerhouse of protection against unwanted invaders. Olive leaf contains a bitter compound called oleuropein that also provides fabulous support to the circulatory system. It battles free radical damage as well.
4 Tips to Keeping the Immune System Strong:
- Minimize stress
- Stay active
- Eat a healthful diet. Steer clear of sugary and high-fat foods, which can slow and/ or weaken the immune response.
- Socialize. People with friends have stronger immune systems than those who always feel alone. Of course, try not to socialize with people who are sick.